Fishing the Upper Florida Keys
The crystal clear waters of the Upper Keys not only offer world-class wreck diving, they are also a highly-regarded sportfishing destination. Known to many as the “Sportfishing Capital of the World’, the Upper Keys have excellent year-round fishing, as well as the largest Florida Keys fishing fleet. A conglomerate of charter boats with some of the best charter captains and fishing guides in the world await you.
Sportfishing Capital of the World
Stretching far into the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean, the Florida Keys is a playground for anglers. An endless stretch of bridges, shorelines, pristine flats, coral reefs, sandbars and channels. The clear blue waters of the Atlantic and the greener hues of the Gulf of Mexico stretch as far as the eye can see. Explore the extensive ocean waters - a saltwater angler’s paradise, troll the reefs, stalk the flats of Florida Bay or tackle tuna in the Gulf Stream.
It’s Hump Day!
Avid sport fishermen love Florida Keys’ fishing humps, a series of seamounts rising up from the depths of the ocean creating a rich natural habitat abounding in larger pelagic predatory fish and colorful marine life. The world famous Islamorada Hump, the best-known fishing spot in South Florida, lies approximately 15 miles offshore and promises a great fishing experience.
Blackfin Tuna and Amberjack are the best known species found at the humps. Both are plentiful and the rewards are fantastic! Other species include Dolphin, Wahoo, Blue Marlin, Queen Snapper and big sharks. These humps get crazy busy, so remain courteous as you patiently pursue the catch of a lifetime.
A Fish for Every Fisherman and Every Season
Whether you are escaping to the uninhabited mangrove islands or trolling the depths of the dark blue ocean, our “Sportfishing Capital of the World” has the perfect catch for you! There are many different ways to spend your day on the unmatched waters of the Upper Keys.
- The most exciting and rewarding is light tackle fishing. Enjoy the thrill of a fight with a super-fast Sailfish or set your eyes on some of the finest Tarpon, Trout, Snook, Red Fish and Bonefish in the world.
- For a unique fly fishing experience, take a trip to the myriad of mangrove islands, tidal rivers and creeks of the Everglades and 10,000 Islands. A million acres of sheltered waters, beauty and wildlife. A true wilderness experience.
- Explore the deep seas with an offshore fishing excursion. As close as five miles offshore the ocean reaches depths of 600 feet onwards up to 2,000 feet the further offshore you travel. Fish the waters for Marlin, Sailfish, Spearfish, Kingfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Tuna, Barracuda, Cobia, Grouper, Snapper, Jacks and Sharks.
- The Florida Keys is an endless treasure trove of wrecks and precious preserved coral reefs, the perfect destination for wreck and reef fishing. Here you will find schools of Permit, Barracuda, Snapper, Amberjacks and Mackerel inhabiting the coral structures.
- The Overseas Highway is lined with historic bridges spanning the deep channels that run between the islands; the perfect spot to cast a line without a boat. Enjoy a spectacular sunrise or picture perfect sunset as the moonlight reflects off the water while you enjoy the best of the Upper Keys with a little bridge fishing.
- If you are looking for a more economical way to spend the day deep sea fishing, local fishing party boats run daily trips shared with other enthusiastic anglers. Tasty catches include Yellowtail Snapper, Grouper and Dolphin, no fishing license is required and the crew will even go as far as to fillet your catch for a tasty meal!
- There are hundreds of charter boats and backcountry guides ready to take you exploring on the fishing trip of a lifetime! If you choose to adventure alone, a huge selection of rental boats are available to ensure your fishing trip is perfect.
In the Upper Keys, your dream of reeling in a record-size fish can become a reality! Barefeet Rentals is here to help make that dream come true with our selection of Key Largo vacation rentals - the perfect home base for your Keys fishing adventures.